How to Make Eyes for Our Animal Collage
- Black paint
- White paint
- Oil pastels
- Hard pointy thing for blending (I used the end of a paintbrush)
- Draw your eyes on cardstock. If you’re not comfortable drawing one on your own, use this PDF. *A helpful hint is to draw one eye, fold your paper in half and cut. This will make two equal eyes at once.
- Draw a large circle for the iris and a smaller circle or slit in the center for the pupil. Don’t be afraid to experiment with other shapes if you want!
- Paint the outer edge black.
- Pick three analogous colors of oil pastels to paint your iris.
- Start with the darkest color on the outer edges and switch to the lighter colors as you move towards the pupil. The lightest color should be nearest to the pupil.
- Blend the colors together with the hard pointy thing. Use blending strokes that point in from the outer edge to the inner edge. You could use your fingers or a cotton swab, but the results aren’t as good. Add a bit more color for any bare spots.
- Paint the pupil black.
- Add highlights. *MAKE SURE YOUR HIGHLIGHTS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE ON BOTH EYES.